Our homes are not just houses where we sleep and eat, but the birthplace of so many memories. They weather storms, rains and sunshine to protect us and in return, the least we can do is to try and maintain them so they last long.
Everyone wants their home to look beautiful inside out. But a few would understand that the way you decorate your home also reflects your thought process. From the colour of the walls to the types of furniture used, every little detail says something about you. While decorating your home, always make sure its reflects your true personality. If low on budget, you can opt for a home loan as well.
Read on to find key tips on how you can beautify your home.
Our environment reflects on our thoughts and vice versa. Given the amount of time we spend in our homes, it becomes even more important to keep them clean.
- First things first, unlike the good old days of our parents and grandparents, in today’s world keeping less is more! Try minimalism – the approach that focuses on keeping the bare minimum amount of stuff, whether its big things like cupboards or the little ones like the number of knives you have in the kitchen
- Look for clothes, utensils and other things that you have not used in years. Chances are, you will not use them in the future as well. Find locals or a charity who could use these items. This is not only helpful to the needy but clears up space in your home for things you need.
The right colours
It is said the right colour scheme can uplift your mood. With a few simple points in mind, you can achieve a great contrast between colours in different areas of the house.
- You might want to achieve a balance between the colour of the flooring and the walls. For instance, dark floor tiles in a room can go well with bright walls
- Sometimes, using different paints for kids’ room, living room and bedrooms is wise – everyone can have something to suit their taste this way
- Using wallpapers is a great idea too. These days, the market is full of wallpapers with intricate patterns and amazing colour combinations. Simply pick the one that goes with your style and you are good to go
The green element
Throwing some plants in the mix is never a bad idea. Plants not only beautify everything but are also scientifically proven to be healthy.
- Look for empty corners or pedestals to place some pots. You can also match multi-coloured plants with the colour scheme of the area
- If you want dual benefits, look for air-purifying plants like Areca Palm, Dracaena Marginata and Peace Lily that are not only low-maintenance but also remove harmful contaminants like Carbon Dioxide, Benzene and Formaldehyde from the air
The timely fix
Sometimes we stop using things that are broken, jammed or clogged, thinking we would get them fixed sometime later. However, most of the times, the situation stays the same for months or even years.
- The easiest way is to make a list of such things in the house and categorize them according to the job. For instance, all electrical issues in one and plumbing in the other
- Those broken doorknobs and clogged pipes are not going to fix themselves! The best way is to seek professional help for things you cannot fix yourself
The mirror play
Mirrors reflect light and act as the perfect medium for making any room look bigger. When correctly placed at the right angles, they can completely transform the way an area appears.
- For instance, placing a large mirror diagonally from a window, natural light can be dispersed into the room making it brighter and more beautiful
- You can place multiple mirrors in different areas to form the desired pattern of light reflection. If there are not many areas of natural light, you can also experiment with artificial lighting to have the same effect at any time of the day!
The Accessories’ game
Little stools, paintings and rugs can lighten up any place – try and experiment with what goes where.
- Fortunately, accessories are some of the inexpensive ways to redecorate; however, they can also ruin the appeal if not used wisely
- Pick the style you want first – do you want the area to feel modern or antique? Based on this, you can select and place the right kind of art
In the end, it is all about how you want the place to look and make you feel. These simple but effective tips can help you refresh your home and in turn, add more freshness to your life!