For past years database specialists recognize PostgreSQL as one of the most popular DBMS due to wise range of valuable features:
- flexibility of open-source software
- full compatibility with SQL standard
- sophisticated locking mechanism
- nested transactions
- on-demand scalability and many others
Those reasons explain why many organizations migrate away from proprietary database management systems with a high total cost of ownership toward PostgreSQL.
Database migration is quite time and resource consuming procedure, especially for complicated corporate warehouses containing millions of entries. That’s experienced database administrators often use special software to automate database migration. PostgreSQL Migration Toolkit is one of such products developed by Intelligent Converters, a software company specialized in database migration and synchronization for more than 20 years.
PostgreSQL Migration Toolkit is a collection of database migration tools from MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, Microsoft Access, FoxPro, IBM DB2, SQLite and MS Excel to PostgreSQL and vice versa. All popular SAAS variations of those DMBS such as Amazon RDS, Azure and others are also supported.
Due to highly efficient low-level algorithms of reading and writing data the product reachtwenty thousand rows per second on contemporary hardware platforms according to vendor benchmarks. Each database converter included in toolkit supports command line to automate migration.
PostgreSQL Migration Toolkit provides option to export the data source into script file instead ofdirect migration to database as workaround for those situations where direct connection to PostgreSQL is not possible. There sulting script file contains SQL commands to create all tables, indexes, constraints and to insert the data. It should be uploaded to PostgreSQL server over SSH and then imported into the target database using any suitable client tool. This approach may be used to get even more control over the database migration as well.
Main capabilities of PostgreSQL Migration Toolkit:
- All versions of PostgreSQL starting from v9are supportedas well as cloud variations such as Azure and Amazon RDS
- Schemas, data, indexes, constraintsand views are migrated with all appropriate attributes
- Option to modify the column names, types, default valuesand exclude columns from migration
- The product provides merge and synchronize modes for existing PostgreSQL tables
- Conversion settings may be stored into a profile to simplify next runs of the migration for the same data source and destination
- The product is supplied with 24/7 support and 1 year subscription for updates
PostgreSQL Migration Toolkit also has some limitations that every customer must learn about:
- Complicated views that contain syntax patterns havingno direct equivalent in PostgerSQLmay require manual post-processing before loading into the target database
- Database logic entries such as stored procedures, functions and triggers are not processed
- Demo version of each toolmigrates up to fifty rows per table and does not create foreign keys
More detailson PostgreSQL Migration Toolkitcam be found at theofficial website of Intelligent Converters.